Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Happy (belated) Fall everyone! Except for the occasional person still hiding on the Bahamas right now, we're all feeling the beginning of a winter chill in the air, the dreaded scent of pumpkin coffee and pumpkin everything EVERYWHERE, and the internal panic that Christmas will be here before we know it.

But weird tasting coffee aside, my post isn't to rant about why Wawa should never make a pumpkin spiced beverage ever again, but rather a little special treat I found on Twitter the other day after going through a few links and RTs. Amber West's 'A Day Without Sushi' blog had an interesting Friday post that piqued my interest. The idea was to give up something for a month and in exchange to donate to a charity of your choosing.

Let me first start off by saying this: It is TOO hard to pick just one charity. I have this uncanny habit of wanting to donate to every charity I see, hear, or think about. Case and point? Those tin containers the Salvation Army puts in mall at Christmas? Half of the tin is just from me spending twenty minutes yanking out every penny from the bottom of my bag.


And this is why I think it's okay to get a $5 cup of coffee from Starbucks...in moderation.

So naturally, I asked everyone I knew for what charity to donate to, spazzing that the Gods of Charitable Acts was going to smite me if I didn't pick something soon. Thankfully, Wawa stopped me in the midst of my mental rant of boycotting their pastry-gag-worthy coffee to ask if I wanted to donate to Juvenile Diabetes, which I accepted with glee. In exchange, I'm not allowed to touch any type of ice cream (a very delicious treat I happen to go nuts for, especially Mochi balls) for the next month. Part of me feels like I need to write an epic tale about my trials and tribulations on overcoming my sweet tooth, hah!

Inspired? I included above a link to her blog post, so feel free to join in on the grouping! Even if you're not a blogger and you have a Twitter (use #gowithout to join in on the chat) or Facebook you can post on what charity you're donating to, along with what you're giving up for the month. It's really that easy! One person may not be able to fund a cure for diabetes or feed every hungry child, but when each person donates, even a little, it all adds up to make a HUGE difference.

0 comments:

Post a Comment